Thursday, January 24, 2013

Some wood and yarn

I have found me newest passion. 
I. love. yarn. letters. 
I found my inspiration on Pinterest, on Let Birds Fly's blog, http://letbirdzfly.blogspot.com/2010/11/yarn-wrapped-letters.html. She has more detailed instructions if you decide to make some yourself! However, I found I looked at the instructions very little. It is more a learn as you go type of project. For example: She did not do any letters with curves; I did many letters with curves.. All you need to begin your yarn letter project is a wooden letter from Hobby Lobby ($2 something) and a roll of yarn ($3 something). One roll of yarn can make 2-3 letters (wish I had known this). The main secret is to make sure you wrap extremely tight. You have to feel and decide what will work best. Every letter is extremely different and each time you do a letter, you will come up with a different way. I could not remember what I did from one tip of the Y to the other tip. 

I hope you enjoy these few letters I made! It probably took a good hour per letter (especially the O. For circles, you have to pull the yarn through the hole each time...). 


My favorite word. Not too keen on the yellow, but I still love it! The yarn on the O is my favorite! Let Birds Fly used this yarn as well. 




I made my sister a lovely coral S.


Then, I made myself a soft gray K for our bedroom. I really love the way it turned out! 


I look back over these and I can see different things I could have done differently. But it just takes practice, lots of it. I hope you will take the time to make these personalized creations to add a pop of color and character to your home! 


No comments:

Post a Comment